Lotus officially announced the new Evora, previously known by the code name Eagle. This is the first all new Lotus since the Elise made its debut in 1995. Currently, this is the world’s only 2+2 mid-engine sports car. Although, Lotus is careful to warn that the back seats are only suitable for children or those with very small legs.
This Lotus still retains its sporting heritage, however much attention has been made to make it a more practical and comfortable car. Those familiar with the Elise/Exige are familiar with the contortions required to enter and exit the vehicle. The new Evora has wider and taller door openings, and the sills are narrower, making it easier to slide over.
Similar to other Lotus, it is mid-engine, and lightweight, although at 2976 pounds, it tips the scales at almost 1000 pounds more than the svelte Elise/Exige. To help propel that increased weight, a Toyota 3.5-liter V-6 is stuffed behind the passenger cabin. This engine churns out 276 horsepower and 252-lb-ft of torque. That is enough to push the car from 0-60MPH in five seconds with a top speed of around 160MPH.
While clearly not as sporting as the Elise/Exige, which are essentially street-legal race cars, the Evora will help lure those who are used to comfortable sports cars such as the Porsche Cayman. The classy styling, lower price (~60K), and exclusivity may help steer younger would-be Porsche customer into a Lotus.
- 6/1/2008 Refocus on Alternative Energy and Energy Independence
- 1/1/2008 Relaunch Z-Car.com
- 5/20/97 Added new domain name www.z-car.com
- 9/2/96 SCCA Double MARRS race at Summit Point 9/2/96
- 8/31/96 Steve’s new 1966 Porsche 911.
- 8/16/96 Latest pictures of Roadster Restoration
- 6/9/96 Quince Orchard Auto Show 6/9/96 Northern Virginia Z-Car Club – Mostly non-Datsun pictures
- 5/20/96 Seat Time 5/20/96 at Summit Point
- 5/19/96 Various pictures of Z’s around the house
- 5/4/96 Added new Datsun Classified Ads section
- 4/13/96 Spent Friday and Monday at the track. One picture taken with digital camera.
- 3/15/96 Summit Point in the rain
- 2/10/96 Added pictures of new 68 Datsun 2000 Roadster
- 1/31/96 Purchased a 68 Datsun 2000 Roadster – Basket Case
- 12/22/95 New pictures of my 240Z at Summit Point
- 12/20/95 Site is now up and running
|Coming out of Turn 7, setting up for Turn 9.|
|Passing in front of the grandstand area.|
|Check out that exhaust, pretty high tech, huh?|
|Entering Turn 10 after passing under the
|Watch out for that spot-a-pot.|
|Right in the groove. Looks like I hit it pretty
well this lap.
|Just touching the apex of Turn 10. On the
power, and ready to head on down the